At Working with Cancer, we are committed to protecting the personal information that we obtain. In particular, we know that when providing our coaching and training sessions, you are entrusting us with confidential information and we will do our utmost to protect that information.
Where we decide the purpose or means for the processing of the personal information that you provide, we are the “data controller”. As data controller, we will comply with all applicable data protection laws.
Where we are a service provider to your employer and you have come to us due to that partnership, your employer is the data controller and we are processing your personal information in accordance with their instructions.
1. How we use your personal information
Providing our Services
As applicable, we will use information about you for delivering our services under an agreement between us, and to contact you about matters requiring your attention. We may also ask you to fill in forms such as our pre- and post-coaching questionnaire.
We may receive information about you from third parties such as: the charity who referred you to us or through whom you contacted us, your employer, or a clinician, relative, colleague or friend who referred you to us. We will never give these third parties confidential information about you.
When providing one-to-one coaching, training workshops or consultancy advice to your employer, we will keep a record of our sessions.
The information we hold about you may include:
- Identity Data: first name, maiden name, last name, marital status, title, date of birth and gender.
- Contact Data: including billing address, postal address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Content of your sessions with us: principally issues concerning your health (see below) your work and your life outside of work.
- Information about your health: This will be whatever you are willing to tell us about your cancer type and treatment including any written information you send to us and any information we may obtain about your condition from reliable web-based sources to inform our coaching conversations e.g. Macmillan Cancer Support and CRUK. We will keep this information confidential and will only use it if you have provided your consent.
If you contact us about our services, the forms you complete or the emails you send may include information about you, such as your name, your email address, and your enquiry. We use this information to process and respond to your enquiries.
- In line with the legitimate interest we have in promoting our business, we will process your enquiries to provide you with information, for example, about the services we offer.
- We may also process enquiries to take steps you ask of us with a view to entering into an agreement to provide you with our services.
- You are under no obligation to provide us with any details, but if you don’t provide all relevant information, we may not be able to help.
2. Do we share your personal information with anyone else?
In addition, we may disclose your information to the extent that we are required to do so by law (which may include to government bodies and law enforcement agencies); in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings; and in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention).
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our business or assets, the information we hold may be included as part of that sale, in which case you will be notified of any changes in ownership or use of your information, as any choices you may have regarding that information.
Except as provided above, we will not provide your information to third parties.
3. Your rights in relation to personal information which we process relating to you
You have the following rights over the way we process personal information relating to you. We aim to comply without undue delay, and within one month at the latest:
- to ask for a copy of data we are processing about you and have inaccuracies corrected;
- to ask us to restrict, stop processing, or to delete your personal data;
- to request a machine-readable copy of your personal data, which you can use with another service provider. Where it is technically feasible, you can ask us to send this information directly to another provider if you prefer; and
- to make a complaint to a data protection regulator.
Please send your requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Given the above, we will retain the following information about you: (i) our coaching notes, (ii) emails and (iii) completed pre and post questionnaires, for no longer than two years following the end of our coaching relationship with you. After two years, this information will only be kept in anonymised aggregated form.
We will take all reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss misuse or alteration of your personal information. This includes ensuring that the notes or information about you are kept in a secure place and on computers and/or other technology which are doubly password protected e.g. access to a laptop and email are both password protected. All our associates use WWC email and are regularly reminded of their responsibility to protect personal information.
In particular, we will take precautions to protect against the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, or alteration, and unauthorised disclosure of or access to the personal information transmitted, stored or otherwise processed by us. Please be aware that, while we make the security of your personal information a high priority, no security system can prevent all security breaches.
This policy may be updated from time to time. We will notify you of any changes.
7. International Data Transfers
We do not transfer personal information outside of the EU.